There’s nothing quite like singing in harmony with others. It can be uplifting, heart-warming, moving, therapeutic, a great way to make friends and a lot of fun. Add to that the experience of singing in exceptional venues with inspiring tutors and you have Songways.
Songways runs flourishing choirs in Bath and Bradford on Avon – over 120 people sing with Songways each week. An ever-widening network of UK singers come to our singing days and singing workshops. Our singing retreats attract singers from the across the UK and the US.
Singing in beautiful and unusual places for the sheer joy of it is a special characteristic of Songways. The individual choirs have sung in many of the finest chapels and churches in the area including the Saxon Church in Bradford on Avon and Malmesbury Abbey. The three choirs combine regularly to sing in wonderful venues such as St Swithin’s Church in Bath, Holy Trinity Church in Bradford on Avon, Edington Priory and Bath Abbey.
Our singing days, workshops and retreats are open to all, not only members of Songways choirs. Stunning venues for singing days include the Peto Garden at Iford Manor, the American Museum in Bath, the Great Oak Hall at Westonbirt Arboretum and Wells Cathedral, Chapter House and Bishop’s Palace Chapel.
We host singing workshops with inspiring guest tutors such as Tony Backhouse from New Zealand, Northern Harmony, John Harrison, Brendan Taaffe and Kathy Bullock from the US and Alison Burns from Scotland.
Our singing retreats include the Cambridge Colleges, Lundy island, Donegal and Italy.
Please join our mailing list to ensure you receive details of future events.
JANE HARRIS, is an experienced singer and choir leader, and the founder and Director of Songways. She has a clear, inclusive and enabling teaching style which uncovers the best in singers’ voices and draws people together with heartfelt, resonant singing. Jane writes songs, often inspired by the natural world, and in 2015 published her first songbook, Everybody needs Beauty. In 2019, Jane will be performing House of Light with with Helen Chadwick.
Having gained an MA in Engineering from Corpus Christi College, Cambridge and worked in the software industry, Jane moved in her mid-20s to work in the music world, first for the National Youth Orchestra and then Welsh National Opera. After ten years as a full-time mother, she moved into music teaching and led children’s music classes at the Wiltshire Music Centre. Jane trained as a community choir leader with Candy Verney, founding Songways in 2009. Having studied classical violin, Jane enjoys playing traditional fiddle music and is a member of the Natural Voice Network. Email Jane or call 07894 205255.
A brilliant choir leader – always patient, positive and encouraging
Superb choice of songs & inspirational leadership.
We love to collaborate with inspiring singers and musicians:
- Helen Chadwick, songwriter, singer and performance creator | London
- Pip Wright, choir leader | Cornwall
- John Harrison, composer and choir director | Vermont, US
- Village Harmony & Northern Harmony, a diverse range of choral, world music and harmony singing activities under the direction of Larry Gordon and Patty Cuyler | Vermont, US
- Windborne, internationally acclaimed folk band | New England, US
- Brendan Taaffe, songwriter, songleader, singer and instrumentalist | Vermont, US
- Kathy Bullock, African American gospel singer and choir leader| Kentucky, US
- Tony Backhouse, leading choral director, arranger and workshop leader | New Zealand
- Alison Burns, song maker and community choir director | Scotland
- Apollo5, award-winning vocal quintet | London
- Jennifer Crook, singer, songwriter, harp and guitar player | Bath.
Photographs of Songways choirs and events on this website by David Lewis Baker.