June/July Online singing workshop series – REVIEW
Our second online singing workshop series took place on five Sundays in June and July 7:30pm UK time via Zoom.
Led by Jane Harris, Director of Songways
More than 70 singers took part in the series, meeting each Sunday on Zoom at 7:30pm UK time, culminating in an online Big Sing on 19 July. Singers joined from Cornwall, Devon, Surrey, Norfolk, Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire and London to North Wales, Manchester, Perth, Dunbar and Fort William, from California, Vermont, Florida, Massachusetts, New York, Toronto and Amsterdam. Warmest thanks to everyone.
The best online singing experience I’ve enjoyed this lockdownAs close as you can get to the real thingSuch beautiful songs and excellent teachingFantastic… life enhancing
Our third online singing workshop series begins Sunday 20 September 7:30pm UK time. Join us wherever you are…
Please join our mailing list to ensure you receive details.
Jane explains how the series worked:
We started each workshop with vocal exercises to open up our voices. In the course of the workshops, I taught a set of six songs, embracing different harmony singing styles and sound worlds, using high quality multi-voice recordings.
- Everybody needs beauty – from my album, One touch of nature, inspired by the words of pioneering conservationist, John Muir
- Ukuthula – an exquisite Zulu song of peace
- Non nobis Domine – a glorious soaring 16th century canon, immersing us in a cathedral of sound
- May you find a place – from my album, One touch of nature, sung with violin and harp
- Makedonsko devojce – a lively Macedonian folk song, sung with rhythmic violin accompaniment
- This is the time to be slow – my new song for these times, premiered on our Zoom session on 12 July.
I rounded off each session with a fiddle tune for everyone to enjoy. After the session, there was the chance to stay and chat with other singers in smaller groups using the Zoom break-out rooms – a lovely opportunity to connect with singing friends old and new.
I use a mix of my own voice and violin live, my own high quality multi-voice harmony recordings and other source recordings to give us as rewarding a singing experience as possible. Several people have described the experience as “the closest you can find to the real thing.”